CSI’s Student of the Month Award aims to recognize outstanding Conestoga students who demonstrate unique achievement in leadership, community involvement and service to others.
This award has been established to acknowledge students who inspire to create dialogue and foster a strong sense of community through participation in events, lectures, or other forms of community engagement.
This is to be awarded to Conestoga fee-paying students on the basis of academic merit and the candidate’s ability to demonstrate their leadership skills through extra-curricular and/or community involvement.
The Recipient of the Student of the Month Award Shall Receive a Certificate and $1,000.
The Student of the Month award is open to currently enrolled fee-paying students at Conestoga College. The following criteria will be considered in evaluating applications:
- Does the student demonstrate academic excellence?
- Are leadership skills demonstrated through extra-curricular and/or community involvement?
- Does the student demonstrate interest in public service?
- Does the student promote dialogue that promotes cross-cultural & social discourse?
- Does the student engage with communities within and outside of campus boundaries?
- Does the student engage a significant portion of the student community?
How to Apply
Applicants must fill out all components of the application form. The application only needs to be submitted once per semester to be considered each month. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must include the following:
- Student of the Month Award Application Form.
- Letters of support: The application must include one recommendation letter from anyone in support for the applicant from students, faculty, staff, alumni, employer or a community member.
- The student of the month becomes available on the first day of every month.
- Applications submitted after the due date will be considered the following month.
- The successful candidate for this award will be announced before the end of every month.
Student of the Month Grading Rubric
Maximum Score of 5 per question, 10 per category (30/30)- Academic Achievement, Community Engagement, and Leadership
To achieve a score of 5, the student should mention that they meet the criteria, should provide strong examples and specific details of how this was demonstrated, and should exhibit a clear understanding of criteria and its importance. The overall response should be thorough and well-reasoned.
Recommendation Letter Scoring: Maximum score of 3 (one recommendation letter only) (3/3)
To achieve a score of 3, the recommendation letter must show the referee wholeheartedly supports the student’s application for the award, has direct knowledge or experience of the student’s community and leadership involvement, and provides specific examples which speak to the criteria for selection.
Spring 2021 Application Deadlines
May: May 21, 2021
June: June 18, 2021
July: July 16, 2021
August: August 13, 2021
Student of the MonthApplicants must be currently enrolled as a fee-paying student at Conestoga College. Applications submitted after the due date will be considered the following month.