Get Out The Vote, is a common non-partisan campaign run by various organizations that aim to encourage either the general population or a specific subset of the population to vote in an election. The most common form of a GOTV campaign is through the collection, distribution, and promotion of information on how and when to vote in an election.

“Students are historically a portion of the population who are unlikely to vote.”

Students may be unfamiliar with voting processes when attending a school away from their home riding. For this reason, GOTV campaigns are an important part of the student experience and are generally organized by a student group or association on campus.

Why is this information important?
  1. Strengthen the Student Voice
  2. Provide Accurate and Trustworthy Election Information Through Channels Students Use
  3. Improve Awareness of Student Association Advocacy Work


In order to cast a vote in the 2022 Ontario Provincial Election, a person must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:

  • Be 18 years of age or older on voting day (June 2, 2022)
  • A Canadian Citizen, and
  • A Resident of Ontario


Registering to vote, updating your information, or confirming your information is an easy process to do through Elections Ontario’s eRegistration online tool.

Learn about this tool here.

All you need is an Ontario driver’s license or an electronic copy of a piece of ID showing:

  1. Your Name
  2. Current Residential Address

Examples of acceptable ID for registering, updating or confirming your information include:

  • Government-issued licenses, statements, or tax assessments
  • Educational or financial-issued letters, transcripts, or statements
  • Other: utility bill, pay stub, insurance policy, hospital record, cell phone bill, CNIB card

The information you are using to register, update, or confirm with must match the information you are submitting using the eRegistration tool.

Learn about this tool here.


Once you are eligible and have registered, you should make a plan to vote. There are multiple different ways you can vote in the Ontario Election, so it important to choose one and make a plan to ensure you don’t forget when or how you can vote.

As a postsecondary student in Ontario studying away from home, you have two options for where you can vote:

  • In the electoral district of your permanent home address (your home address)
  • In the electoral district for your address while attending school

Once you have decided which electoral district you plan on voting in, your home address or temporary address while at school, you can choose what method you want to use to vote:

  • If you have a Voter Information Card (VIC)

    If you have a voter information card, you need to show one piece of ID with your NAME on it.

    • Any document issued by:
      * the Government of Canada
      * the Government of Ontario
      * a municipality
      * a government agency
    • Birth certificate
    • Canadian citizenship card
    • Canadian Forces ID card
    • Canadian passport
    • Credit/debit card
    • Employee card
    • Hospital card/bracelet
    • Old Age Security card
    • Ontario health card
    • Professional licence
    • SIN card
    • Status card
    • Student card
    • Union card
    • Veterans Affairs health card

    Or any document from the list below.

  • If you don't have a Voter Information Card (VIC)

    If you don’t have a voter information card, you need to show one piece of ID with both your NAME and ADDRESS on it.

    • Any document issued by:
      * the Government of Canada
      * the Government of Ontario
      * a municipality
      * a government agency
    • Band council documentation
    • Band membership card
    • Bank statement
    • Blood donor card
    • Certificate of Identity & Residence (E0824)
    • CNIB ID card
    • Correspondence letter
    • Credit card statement
    • Credit union statement
    • Firearms licence
    • Government cheque or cheque stub
    • Government statement of benefits or EI
    • Hospital documentation
    • Hospital record
    • ID issues by Inuit authority
    • Indian status card
    • Income tax assessment
    • Insurance certificate, policy or statement
    • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
    • Letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nation band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
    • Liquor identity card
    • Medical clinic card
    • Métis card
    • Mortgage contract or statement
    • Ontario driver’s licence
    • Ontario motor vehicle permit
    • Parolee card
    • Pay stub
    • Pension plan statement
    • Personal cheque
    • Property tax assessment
    • Public transportation card
    • Residential lease or sub-lease
    • T4 tax slip
    • Transcript or report card
    • Tuition statement
    • Utility bill
    • Vehicle ownership
  • If Voting by Mail

    If voting by mail, you must submit an application to vote by mail accompanied by ID proving both your name and your current residential address. Acceptable ID for proving your NAME and CURRENT RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS include:

    One government-issued, proof of name and residence

    • Ontario driver’s licence
    • Ontario Photo Card
    • Statement of government benefits
    • Statement of Employment Insurance
    • T4 tax slip
    • Income tax assessment
    • Document issued or certified by a court in Ontario

    One government-issued proof of name AND one proof of name and residence from a non-government entity

    Government-issued (name)

    • Certificate of Indian Status
    • Passport
    • Birth certificate
    • Canadian citizenship card
    • SIN card

    Non government-issued (name and residence)

    • Utility bill
    • Band council document
    • Bank or Credit card statement
    • Pay stub
    • Cell phone bill
    • Transcript or report card
    • Mortgage policy or statement

Election Employment Opportunities

Elections Ontario offers a variety of employment opportunities for people of all skill levels. All positions are paid and training is provided!

To work as an election official, you must be:

  • At least 18 years of age (at least 16 years of age for the role of Information Assistant),
  • A Canadian citizen (you do not need to be a Canadian citizen for the position of Information Assistant),
  • Have a social insurance number, and
  • A resident of Ontario

For a full summary of opportunities available and to apply, visit Elections Ontario’s website:

Applicants will be contacted in early May.