The below list outlines general rules and guidelines of what to do/not do if you create a CSI club. For more information please read the Clubs Manual thoroughly, or contact the Student Engagement Coordinator.
Please do all of the following things regularly to successfully operate your club.
- DO: Run regular meetings
- DO: Have all events accessible to all Conestoga College students
- DO: Frequently update club membership lists and keep attendance
- DO: Keep track of finances and spend your budget money
- DO: Use Chartwells Catering for on campus events
- DO: Attend all mandatory presidents meetings
- DO: Reply to correspondences within 1-2 business days
- DO: Run at least one event per semester
- DO: Refer to your president’s manual and the website for most questions
- DO: Apply for special event funding to facilitate new ideas
- DO: Attend training sessions and make use of all resources available
Please DO NOT DO any of the following things as they are strictly prohibited.
- DON’T: Collect club donations and keep them off campus
- DON’T: Directly or indirectly spend resources on alcohol or alcohol related events
- DON’T: Hold more than one club executive position
- DON’T: Discriminate against any student. All students are welcome in all clubs
- DON’T: Have mandatory membership fees
- DON’T: Treat your clubs locker, any CSI or any Conestoga space poorly
- DON’T: Post any posters around campus without approval from facilities
- DON’T: Allow non-Conestoga Students to join your club
- DON’T: Hold raffles, 50/50 draws, or any events that involve gambling
- DON’T: Solicit donations as mandatory
- DON’T: Spend more money than your club has
The CSI Clubs Policy was implemented to ensure that all clubs within the Conestoga College community have access to a document that clearly outlines the requirements for becoming a club. Included is a list of policies that all clubs must follow in order to become sanctioned.
- Clubs and associations can be sanctioned year-round. Clubs will have the opportunity for renewal in April which would be effective in May of the same year.
- Clubs and associations shall not require its members to become involved in any activity incompatible with scholastic attainment or acceptable general development.
- Club and association resources must be utilized in a manner that ensures all funded activities are prudent, ethical and legal.
- No student or group of students will be permitted to use mental, verbal or physical violence against another student or in any way jeopardize the health, morals, scholastic standing, or liberties of another student or college personnel.
- Clubs and associations shall not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, national origin, disability, religion, political beliefs, sexual orientation, age or other non-merit reasons for membership.
- All club and association events must be open to all Conestoga College students.
- Resources will exclusively fund Conestoga students.
- Clubs and associations will not fund activities that are course credit requirements for students.
- Clubs and associations will not have any type of off-campus banking system, including but not limited to: bank, personal banking system, a safe, etc. All funds will be circulated within the Conestoga Students Inc. banking system. There are no exceptions.
- No club or association can sign a contract of any kind. Any contracts must be reviewed and approved by the Student Engagement Coordinator.
- The CSI Students Events Policy supersedes the CSI Clubs Policy and will be the governing document for all CSI Clubs events.
- Club Executives are responsible for positively representing CSI at all times, including; social media, on and off campus events, and daily interactions with peers, staff, and the public.
All members and executives of campus clubs and associations must be students at Conestoga College of Applied Arts and Technology at any of its satellite campuses as well as the Doon campus.
- All clubs and associations must have a membership of at least seven (7) students.
- All clubs and associations must submit proper documentation to the Student Engagement Coordinator by the specified deadline. The documentation should include:
- Statement of purpose
- Proposed budget for the academic year
- A list of elected officers
- Proposed meeting schedule for the academic year.
- All returning clubs must submit updated membership lists and information each year.
- All CSI Fee paying students of Conestoga College are eligible for club membership.
- Mandatory membership fees are not permitted.
- The membership of any club or association will be no fewer than seven (7).
- Each student can only be an Executive (ie. President, Vice President, Treasurer) for one club; students can be a regular member for any club.
As a sanctioned CSI club, you have access to two types of funds:
- Budgeted funds: an allowance funded by CSI based on the membership size of your club
- club generated funds: Funds that are raised through club events, sponsorship, donation, etc.
Budgeted funds are allotted in a tiered system:
- 7-24 student members: $200 per semester
- 25-39 student members: $300 per semester
- 40+ student members: $350 per semester
To receive budgeted funds a club must complete and submit their estimated budget to Darcee Carnes. To receive higher tiers of funding a club must present first meeting attendance to obtain first semester funding, and must bring at least 3 first semester attendances to guarantee second semester funding.
Budgeted funds will be disbursed for the following items only:
- Food and beverages (meetings & events)
- Event supplies
- Promotional Supplies
Clubs are not permitted to have money at any off-campus financial institution. This is for risk management and safety purposes. Keeping club funds and not depositing the money is grounds for club probation and possibly de-ratification.
All funds raised (club generated funds) must be deposited to CSI. The money will be added to your operating funds. Unspent club generated funds will rollover but must be spent during the following year.
Clubs will receive funding on a reimbursement basis.
You must submit all receipts along with the Clubs Expense Form, outlining the purpose of the expense.
Any donations being made to outside agencies must come from funds raised by the club. These donations will not be paid for by CSI out of the club’s funding budget.
All money raised at the fundraiser(s) for outside agencies must be given to CSI and a Deposit Form must be filled out. A cheque for payment will be sent to the associated charity or agencies on behalf of the club.
Approval from CSI must be obtained before seeking sponsorship for club activities.
Location of fundraising events for clubs must be booked through the CSI office. Please note a minimum 30 day notice is required when booking space in the College.
- The Venue can be booked for club meetings or club events.
- The Event Request Form must be filled out and submitted to the Student Engagement Coordinator 30 days prior to the event.
- Clubs can only book a CSI space (The Venue, Den) once per week. There are no exceptions.
- Please see the Forms & Documents section for the Event Request Form.
To book a classroom for your club meetings, please email the Student Engagement Coordinator five (5) days prior to the day you require a room. Please include the following information in the e-mail:
- Club name
- Number of people attending meeting
- Date needed
- Time needed
- Do you need the room the same time/day for the entire semester? Yes / No
Table Request on Campus
- In order to reserve tables or book out space, clubs will need to schedule a meeting with the Student Engagement Coordinator and complete the corresponding paper work. CSI will then submit the paper work on behalf of the club.
- Upon approval, CSI will contact the appropriate party.
- Please note that this should be done a minimum of 30 days before the event date.
- Clubs can host an event on any of the Conestoga campuses that is related to the club’s purpose and objectives.
- It is mandatory that clubs host a minimum of one (1) event per semester that is open and accessible to all Conestoga College students in order to maintain their sanctioned status as a CSI club.
- The club must fill out and submit a Club Event Plan Form to the Student Engagement Coordinator. The club will be contacted via email regarding the event. CSI reserves the right to approve or deny a Club Event Planning Form at any time.
- The Planning Form must be completed and submitted in to the Student Engagement Coordinator a minimum of 20 business days before the proposed event date. Please note that space on campus gets booked up quickly and CSI cannot guarantee that the space requested is available.
- Clubs can only book a CSI space (The Venue, Den) once per week. There are no exceptions. If this space is misused in any way (i.e. vandalized, out of order, left dirty, etc.) the use of this space will no longer be granted. This is up to the discretion of the Student Engagement Coordinator.
- Depending on the type of event the club has requested, after approval the club may need to work with the Student Engagement Coordinator to fill out college event paperwork.
- If you are hosting an event in a CSI space between the hours of 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday to Friday, you will not be able to block off the area specifically for your event.
- If you are hosting an event after 4:30 pm you must arrange a time with a CSI representative to set up equipment before 4:00 pm on the day of your event.
- The Venue Bar is a restricted area and only CSI staff are to be behind the bar at any time.
- All furniture must be put back in its original location if you choose to rearrange the floor layout for your event.
- It is the responsibility of the individual hosting the event to ensure the space is cleaned. Cleaning supplies can be provided by CSI.
- Each club will be given an account at the CSI self-serve areas where they will receive a $60.00 printing credit each semester. After the initial $60.00 is used the club will be responsible for paying the regular printing rate. To obtain your club printing account card please see the Student Engagement Coordinator.
- Posters for club meetings, events, recruitment, etc. can be posted on the clubs board in the Service Hub and must have the CSI logo on them.
- Any postings not on the CSI board must be approved by Facilities Management. Please see attached Posting Policies document (page 22-23).
- All advertisements not located directly on CSI boards must be placed using green painter’s tape.
- Advertising on the CSI website and social media is available to all clubs; please see Darcee Carnes, Student Engagement Coordinator, (2A100) for more information.
- Clubs can promote their events and maintain an accurate list of their members through the Co-Curricular Record (CCR). Login to myConestoga.ca with your network ID.
Communications Request Form
- Clubs can request to have their information posted through CSI social media outlets.
- Clubs can also submit one (1) design request per semester. You must allow 15 business days.
- CSI internal communications requests supersede clubs communications requests; the Student Engagement Coordinator can deny requests at any time.